Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Banana Cream Pie Filling

I made a delicious banana cream pie yesterday and thought I would share my recipe. (I wish that I had taken a picture but....) I love this recipe because it uses powdered milk.

Banana Cream Pie Filling
2 C reconstituted powdered milk
3/4 C granulated sugar
4 drops yellow food coloring
3 T flour
1T cornstarch
1/2 t salt
1/4 cold water
1 egg
1 1/2 T butter

Combine the milk, sugar and food coloring in a 3 quart pot. Heat to near boiling. In a separate container, combine the flour, salt, cornstarch with the cold water (1 T at a time) until they form a smooth, thick paste. Add slowly to the hot milk mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-high heat for several minutes until slightly thickened. (Do not allow the mixture to burn.) In a small bowl, beat the egg well. While stirring briskly, add the egg to the hot mixture and cook for one additional minute. Add the butter and remove from heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Let mixture cool slightly in the refrigerator.

For yesterday's dessert, I used a graham cracker crust with one large banana sliced in the bottom of the dish and I topped each serving of pie with Cool Whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment